The Independent Defence Anti-Corruption Committee (Nezalezhniy Antikorruptsiyniy Komitet z pytan oborony – NAKO), an initiative established by Transparency International Defence & Security Programme and by Transparency International Ukraine to fight corruption in the Ukrainian defence sector, is seeking a Chief Operating Officer. NAKO combines local knowledge of corruption challenges in defence with international expertise in good practice in defence anti-corruption and integrity. We believe that tackling corruption and building integrity in Ukraine’s national defence establishments is vital for the country’s security, stability and prosperity.
This is an opportunity to make a lasting difference in Ukraine. NAKO is comprised of a first-rate committee of six leading figures in anti-corruption, defence and good governance, and a permanent Secretariat in Kyiv. The Chief Operating Officer will be part of a small but growing team. S/he will establish and maintain effective management process across NAKO, to ensure efficient working practices and project implementation and support the process of establishing NAKO as an independent entity.
S/he will work as part of a dedicated transnational team committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector of Ukraine. We are looking for someone who is passionate, flexible, driven and goal-oriented, with leadership experience and a commitment to tackling corruption in the Ukrainian defence sector. He/she will report to the Secretary General at NAKO. Please find more information here: http://nako.org.ua.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine.
* Establish and manage effective financial, programme and personnel management systems, enabling effective collaboration with TI Ukraine and TI DS;
* Identify, assess and manage programme risk;
* Ensure NAKO’s planned and actual spending is well accounted for and tied to outcomes, and that reporting to TI-DS and donors is accurate and appropriate;
* Facilitate monitoring, evaluation and learning across NAKO;
* Line manage the operations officer and other staff as agreed with the management team
* In collaboration with the management team, ensure that NAKO is delivering against its workplan, and troubleshoot problems that arise in its implementation
* Perform other tasks as required.
Experience and Knowledge:
* 5-7 years professional experience in programme management;
* Excellent people skills; including the ability to work effectively in large teams and across countries/cultures;
* Experience or knowledge of development programming, in particular knowledge of anti-corruption programming;
* Experience in supporting or leading fundraising activity – particularly elements related to budgeting and/or programme design;
* Experience implementing or managing M&E systems;
* Experience developing staff capacity and/or staff management experience;
* Strong finance/numerical skills with experience managing projects and programme budgets;
* Fluency in Ukrainian and English.
Desirable (but not essential)
* An understanding of (anti-)corruption, governance or related subject areas;
* Experience working with local NGOs.
* A ‘self-starter’, able to quickly assimilate new information and to manage their own workload and tasks within strategic priorities and with minimum supervision;
* A highly organised individual, able to effectively carry out project and budget management;
* Capable of demonstrating creativity in applying solutions;
* A commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy;
* Ability to work as part of a global team as well as independently.
Application deadline: 15 February, 2019. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as it is ready.
Payment: Monthly payments covered by grant funds. Salary based on experience.
Duration: 6 months contract, with intent to become permanent.
Start Date: As soon as possible. To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please make sure to put “COO – NAKO Ukraine” in the subject heading and send the documents as one PDF file. We encourage you to apply even if you do not fully qualify against all of the criteria set forth above. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Should you be shortlisted, you will be contacted by a member of the team.